With global warming manifesting itself in the form of rise in levels of global temperature, water etc, most countries and governments are taking initiatives to reduce the consumption of electricity and fossil fuels. Thus, more and more homeowners are being urged to insulate their homes against outside temperatures and cut down on the use of HVAC systems. There are various types of insulation out there, and each of these comes with its pros and cons.
What is Huntsman H2Foam Lite Spray Foam Insulation?
H2Foam Lite happens to be the topmost choice for Spray Foam Insulation in the market, and it can be applied to non-breathable as well as breathable felts and roof membranes. This can fill up all the crevices and cracks – which can eliminate the problems of infiltration or leakage of air.
- It boasts of a high value of insulation. The U-value of H2Foam Lite is 0.039, which happens to be the same as other insulation products like fiberglass. As compared to those, this kind of insulation material is able to preserve its own shape. It can help develop the best kind of air seal, which can help prevent the loss of heat.
- This is a breathable insulation material, which has a fully open cell structure. It lets the wood breathe, thus eliminating the risks of rotting for the same. It can also obliterate the risks of formation of condensation and mold.
- It is fully water blown and does not have any toxic blowing agent – which makes it eco-friendly in form. Also, there are no toxic chemicals in Huntsman H2Foam Lite spray foam open cell.
- You can minimize unnecessary sounds that can come from the outside into your living space through air. Icynene spray foam insulation reduces outside noises.
- It is possible to save as much as 50% of energy expenses. The leakage of air can lead to as much as 50% of the energy loss of a building, and can lead to a rise in energy bills as a result. When you use Icynene, you can cut down on spending on energy.
- It is not the right choice for insulating cavity walls.
- Upon application, this kind of insulation can be quite messy. Thus, for installers, it might be a good idea to sand down surfaces to be insulated, in order to make them smoother. But installers cover the adjoining surface and clean up the area upon completion.
- This is not something that can be done as a DIY project. It is impossible to get the necessary supplies and appliances from a local supply store and get the insulation done. There is a need for licensed installers to apply Huntsman H2Foam Lite – and finding such installation professionals can be tough as well.
What are the Results with Traditional Insulation?
Fibreglass is one of the top traditional insulation options out there.
- It can be quite effective as a barrier of water vapors from coming inside a property. This comes with an added protective plastic sheet atop, which serves as a great vapor barrier.
- As this insulation material does not shrink upon application, it does not reduce the surface area to cover.
- This is possibly the cheapest form of insulation, although it is regarded as being quite effective.
- It contains toxic chemicals. The formaldehyde in fiberglass is extremely poisonous.
- All through the insulation process, protective gear must be worn by installers – given that fiberglass releases slivers. It is easy to have slivers get into your airways or settle on your skin and lead to irritation.
- After some time, this kind of insulation starts sagging – leading to a drop in its U-Value. This leads to a reduction in its effectiveness in insulating those surfaces that it is applied onto.
Cellulose is another commonly used insulation materials, which comes at a cheap cost.
- Cellulose contains various fire retardant materials, chiefly boric acid, thus keeping homes safer against fire hazards.
- Its U-value can stay put for more time, given that there is an addition of acrylic binder to cellulose. Thus, its effectiveness in insulation does not get reduced soon.
- It is an eco-friendly insulation material, which is composed of newspapers. This is made by reducing the amount of newspapers dumped into landfills.
- Out of all the top insulation materials out there, it is probably the most low-cost option. This is because it is composed of paper and recycled card.
- Cellulose insulation can absorb moisture – leading to rotting and molding. This leads to a drop in its efficiency.
- The cost of installing this kind of material can be more than that of other insulation materials.
- While being installed, it tends to give off a lot of dust. This can possibly lead to respiratory distress.
- Over a period, the boric acid coating of Cellulose can wear off. Thus, it can get flammable.
- There can be a sagging of cellulose over time – which can lead to a drop in its U-value. Thus, its performance can suffer a drop.
As you can see, each type of insulation comes with advantages and disadvantages of its own. It is a good idea to make an appropriate choice depending on the type of property that you own, what kind of requirements you have and the type of budget that you have. Consulting an insulation contractor can also help you to make the right choice.
At Evergreen Power UK we take pride in providing the best services to make getting your property insulated, hassle-free for you. Our surveyors are all qualified with the use of Huntsman H2Foam Lite spray foam insulation. In addition, we provide a 25-year manufacturer warranty guarantee with every installation. Contact us today to book a free home survey and get a no-obligation quote for your insulation project valid for 12 months.