When it comes to the insulation of your home, especially for homes located in areas prone to temperature swings, intense weather, rain, snow, sleet, and hail, this special constructive barrier can make or break your at-home experience. Expanding foam insulation is what keeps the outside elements at bay, helping to keep your home warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer. Homes without any proper insulation typically experience higher energy bills every single month as the home heating and cooling system work overtime to set the right temperature.
That probably leads you right here, as you try to determine what kind of insulation you need for your home. If you are considering expanding foam insulation, also known as spray foam insulation, know that you are not alone! We’re going to look at the benefits of this kind of insulation and is expanding foam good insulation?
Can Expanding Foam be used as Insulation?
For starters, spray foam insulation is a chemical foam that mixes with water, creating a moist spray foam that expands and fills in cracks, spaces, and crevices as air mixes with the foam. As a material that is able to expand 100x its original size in just seconds, spray foam also dries quickly once it adheres to a surface.
This kind of expanding foam insulation is popularly used inside the roof, underfloor, lofts and within wall cracks, cavities, and open spaces. Since the foam uses air to expand before hardening, spray foam is completely air sealed and airtight, acting as a formidable barrier against cold, heat, and moisture in the air.
When outside elements come into contact with the temperature that is kept inside your home, a thermal bridge appears that creates an effect typically drawing heat out into the cold, or cold out into the heat. The temperature exchanges can occur in building materials like drywall and wood, which is why an insulation can stop this kind of diffusion from happening.
Does Expanding Foam Sound Insulation Improve the Quality of Air in My Home?
Yes! There are two different ways expanding insulation foam spray can improve the quality of air within your home:
- Unbreakable Barrier: Due to the air-tight barrier that is created with spray foam, pests, vermin, toxins, and chemicals can no longer enter your home at free-will. Therefore, they will not be able to lay eggs, spread bacteria and viruses, or contribute to mold build up over time.
- Zero Deterioration: Unlike fiberglass insulation panels and other forms of old-school insulation, spray foam insulation does not deteriorate or break down over time. As a result, it will not poison your air or contribute to a toxic air environment within your living quarters. Our expanding foam sound insulation comes with a 25-year minimum manufacturing guarantee so you can rest assured it will work as promised for decades.
Is Expanding Foam Insulation Safe to Use in My Home?
We all want the best for our families, which means we want to keep chemicals and toxins out of our living quarters. The good news is Icynene spray foam insulation contains no measurable VOCs, and no formaldehyde. It is completely safe to touch and rub against once dried, expanding foam insulation is a totally family-friendly insulation material that is good for you and your family’s health.
Are You Certified in Spray Foam Insulation?
Unlike other insulation materials that can be technically inserted by any kind of construction personnel or contractor, our technicians come with a certification in spray foam insulation, so you know we are accredited experts. We are British Board of Agreement (BBA) certified experts who are able to complete the spray foam job to the highest quality possible, and only apply the leading spray foam insulation on the market, which homeowners in the UK are now saying is the best expanding foam insulation.
How Soon Can I Expect Changes?
Immediately upon installation, you can start to expect to feel a real difference. However, don’t just take our word for it, read the hundreds of online reviews we have from our customers, and see what they have to say. Our customers reported up to 50% savings in their monthly bills as a result of the new insulation, compared to the traditional insulation they previously had up in their loft.
Why is expanding foam good insulation?
Expanding Spray Foam insulation offers several advantages and much better benefits compared to alternative traditional insulation products like cellulose and fibreglass, let’s not forget to mention Icynene expanding foam loft insulation has recently taken the UK by storm and is now the leading spray foam insulation on the market.
Advantages of Expanding Spray Foam Insulation:
- Save up to 50%: Expanding foam helps in creating a thermal envelope that controls the air within your home. It will maintain the temperature inside your house and enable you to save on energy operating costs.
- Prolongs building lifespan: Expanding spray foam keeps moisture out and prevents mould spores and reduces the degradation of buildings.
- Increased Occupant health and comfort: Spray foam insulation eliminates air leakage in the building. It minimises entering polluted air, dust, pollen and moisture which directly increase occupant health and comfort levels.
- Reduces sound pollution: sound insulation expanding foam delivers a high-level quality of sound insulation that reduces airborne sounds. (No more need to worry about your noisy neighbours)
What is the expanding foam insulation cost?
- More expensive compared to Conventional Insulation: The expanding foam insulation cost is more expensive compared to other traditional and conventional products, however with its fit and forget technology, this insulation lasts the lifetime of your home. Its difficult to give a flat cost because to calculate how much expanding foam insulation costs depends on 4 main factors: the thickness, the size of the area you want to insulate, how it’s installed and the type of spray foam insulation. Hence why we send out a surveyor free of charge, who carries out a full survey and leaves you with a quote that is valid for 12 months.
Is Expanding Foam Sound Insulation Right for Me?
Now that we have made it to the end of the insulation questions, the answer is that expanding foam insulation is right for everyone. No matter the materials in your home, the age of your house, or the size of your family, spray foam insulation will save you money, improve your home’s energy efficiency, which is beneficial for the environment, guarantee safe insulation that is appropriate for kids and children of all ages, and create a permanent barrier, preventing thermal bridge diffusion of air into the outdoors. Let’s not forget it can save you up to 50% on your energy bills.
However, we understand if you have questions or concerns, which is why we want you to give us a call. We will come to you and assess the property, providing a FREE no obligation quote and a plan of action moving forward.